Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 31 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 31

We have 0 member(s), 6 spiders, 31 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (37):

AR18/180 Inspired AR15 Lower Receiver
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Hubby

Private
Private

Posted: October 02 2017 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote Hubby

Attached are some photos of an AR18/AR180 inspired AR15 compatible lower receiver made by myself using SolidWorks. The design incorporates some of the angles and curves unique to AR18/180s, in the form that can be added to any AR15 build. I may make a matching AR18/AR180 inspired upper receiver if I have time between my engineering course work. Let me know what you guys think of it.

All critical-functioning dimensions are verified against a model that is currently used by numerous companies to product their standard AR15 lower receivers.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Hubby's Profile Search for other posts by Hubby

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 03 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Very interesting.  Can it be stamped like the original AR-18?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 03 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

i  have a stamped AR-15 lower if you want me to finish it up and post it on grabcad
View justin22885's Profile Search for other posts by justin22885

Hubby

Private
Private

Posted: October 03 2017 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Hubby

Justin22885 yes that would be interesting to look at. Backbencher this one is currently not designed for stamping, but possibly something I could work on.
View Hubby's Profile Search for other posts by Hubby

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 03 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

theres a couple ways you can actually make a sheet metal AR lower, first would be one compatible with AR-15 parts like the mag release, LRBHO lever, this would mean welding a block into the sheet metal lower that can be machined out for these components, and the other way is the simpler, easy route that would omit the LRBHO, use a different mag release, push button still possible, but a lever mounted on the left side operated by the thumb would be easier to do

im not sure of the advantage of either one.. though you may be able to make the lower from 0%, the upper would be harder if not impossible to do

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 05 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I would think the best way to make an upper from scratch would be to cut a 1" steel tube in half, and weld on a gas key raceway and the lower lugs, and cut out the ejection port and a hole for the bolt key.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 05 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

that would work.. also the sheet metal upper i designed before could fairly easily be done and reduce weight, but if you were manufacturing a sheet metal upper to go on a sheet metal lower, you could simplify it a lot by omitting the flat surface on the bottom of the upper receiver, and weld the sheet metal lower to a half-tube to cradle the upper much like the tube steel rifles youve seen me working on lately using a lower receiver similar to the MP40

so yeah, if youre making an upper to work with a sheet metal lower it could really simplify the entire manufacturing process of the weapon.. totally doable if you want an AR with no aluminum

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 05 2017 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I keep toying w/ building an AR9 using 1" PVC pipe; bought a couple of short pieces the other day.  Now I just have to talk myself into buying a Glock mag adapter & a bolt.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 05 2017 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

i dont know about building a sub gun.. at the very least i think youd need to sleeve it, but the heat transfer is something id be concerned with

i think i may sketch out a simplified version of my sheet metal AR upper later to match the MP40 inspired tube lower compatible with as many AR-15 parts as possible.. itd be cool to have a sheet metal/tube upper and lower combo that was compatible with all bolts, barrels, forearms, buffer tubes, stocks, fire control group parts, mag release, bolt hold open, mags, charging handle, etc... though, i am going to make a consession on the pistol grip..theres just no simple way to make the curved piece of the AR lower that goes into the web of your hand, so using AK pistol grips instead will be easier and more comfortable

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 06 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Heat transfer would be a concern in a PVC pipe receiver gun.  If you mount the front sight as close to the muzzle as possible, and the rear sight above the chamber, you might get less POI shift than you would otherwise.

If you fired magazine after magazine, the tube holding the bbl would eventually sag so much you'd start getting FTF.  If it cooled in that position, you'd need to rebuild the gun out of $7 of PVC pipe.

One might get longer life out of it by building it as a pistol, thus using a shorter and lighter bbl.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 06 2017 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

should discuss this further in the ideas thread so not to derail

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version