Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
3 members and 27 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 30

We have 3 member(s), 6 spiders, 27 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
David#smith[Ujuhoxyv, ExceteRem, Jackiefiend

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (182):
Jackiefiend, David#smith[Ujuhoxyv, ExceteRem, emiliabs16, rulmiriucculkiz, MarkReext, fermneoroup, ryche, Altessy, uplikigue, mereebova, Juitlekneentero, erolerenelo, FoneeZexCot, Murasnasp, fefAdmike, tesPexengexia, vozysoove, DavidJof, WilliamENFOK, Charleskip, LesterIneni, MirkaAdew, Fauzahnwourb, Wraklyadula, FugJertantara, HoxiasillHist, alibiaEmand, bikergunnut, QLRobert, soriissuend, empisypeSpeancy, reonfubrolo, KeypeBreelty, backbencher, jimdoc, Angela_Leewresk, inna_nymb, karineq1, carolyp18, MartishSoits, Weigandwourb, FvybvymtfqVok, inna_ieyf, brandyhl69, FreefestErymn, Paraquat, Dapaswourb, inna_furg, Boschrdv, Boschyeh, Boschrpe, gabriellewy4, noreenwy1, RatTaittar, Brainwourb, carlrw4, carmelaan69, optovkatex, old guns, russyMixail, Beefcake, ArthuImpob, Dongokwourb, inna_emmx, EvaemodE, Whitneyendag, janeyp16, manuelgv18, DayliKib, marilynaj18, Raneswourb, EugeneaPhown, florakj69, Progonhic, minervald69, Fragkos, juliettesp60, Bandinayawourb, hollielk4, Darinwhish, JamesJig, toddjg69, shaunawc2, minervazk11, Vinereywourb, caitlinbk18, monauz4, Derekrarty, Kennethlib, CalvinVat, ArtemPailk, celinakc11, Flux, ArseniyJah, BogdanAutot, tamikaze11, carlosty16, geraldinewt11, kurtcq18, Waltermox, whitneyzc11, jaynecg2, StephenJep, Mingledorffwourb, SpikeBuilt, kering4, Stevieven, Gearglani, williamyd16, sidneyhs18, lavernejs3, Shadowrunnerwourb, lesleyzk3, kimxc3, cal50, evgenwat, jeremydy1, HellDragonwourb, bridgetux2, terraih16, bbrown, ollieio11, dalefp1, Olgacag, Buzatuswourb, jolenelg3, davidgb60, helenezb16, miguelhg1, jaimevu2, SanyokSmoks, jetloco, ds1948, Warum, CanadafinN, toddww69, zedsdead, rrayepalcixi, Gentrabo, margieua4, cewecah, angeljc69, luellash69, kristenvo69, Gavinramatwourb, lynnettegr1, edwardub69, ebeotuwikofa, lillianxy60, Forrestbug, sochi.cat/-Weino, dimentObjestben, serenarr69, hilarygq2, Trashminwourb, Maynardvuh, JamesHap, Josephabaph, KennethBum, Ronaldsaulp, Dameenawourb, azotas, carlyyp11, Nusaward, rachelye2, JulianSMB, mariettatv60, benjaminex3, AWilliamtoInc, JamesImmot, Qanadwourb, GreogyFlepe, ezulokemu, constancedp2, opagoyar, Adoradwynwourb, oiyigen, Lornakic, nettieft69, 11millimeter, travisin3

Barrel Extension Machining Operation
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  ds1948

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: November 18 2017 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote ds1948

I had this idea in my head for a while now and am looking to simplify the manufacturing process a little. I have been designing a rotating barrel rifle for a while now that is short recoil actuated and is locked by locking lugs. Think of it like a rotating locking ring like an MG15 but the ring is attached rigidly to the barrel. I have a bolt head design that will work and will require minimal machining, or I could use savage replacement bolt heads as an alternative, but need help machining the barrel extension for the lugs to lock into.

Are most extensions, like the AR15, made from a steel bar, and then cut and drilled down to spec on a mill? I do not have access to a mill but I think, depending on lug shape, I can drill through a stock and use a dremel or other similar cutting tool to finish the internal design. As an alternative to this, does anyone know of a place that sells metal tubes with one end sealed off forming a cup? If one could be found in the right dimensions this would simplify making the extension.

Once everything is made, headspace could be set similar to how one checks headspace on an AR, screw the barrel into the extensions until a go guage chambers with the lugs and adjust accordingly. The cam that rotates the barrel is cut directly into the receiver which is a simple tube possibly just a regular galvanized steel pipe from a hardware store with threaded ends. The barrel has a return spring that wraps around the far end of the barrel which is pressed up against the endcap of the receiver. The barrels rear travel is stopped by the cam pin which rotates the barrel. Make the bolt hammer fired and I think this system is pretty simple overall. The only real challenge is making the extension and hence my original question. I can draw pictures to help but I am not too good with google sketchup. Maybe I will try to create a 3d model if my description is too confusing.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View ds1948's Profile Search for other posts by ds1948

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November 18 2017 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Slot a tube and fit it into another tube? You might incorporate the outer as the reciever?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

ds1948

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: November 19 2017 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote ds1948

Just one tube for the receiver. The bolt and the barrel fill up the internal space directly. There should not be any need for rails as I am hoping to use spring guide rods to help guide and hold the bolt in place. Notice the cam pin on the barrel extension which turns the barrel to unlock the action and the simplified bolt face. This bolt design has successfully been used in 50s so I think it will hold for a .223. It is 1/8"x1/2". The bolt has such a large back to it so that it rides full bore inside the receiver which is about 1.5"ID. Far left is the barrel extension followed by the bolt and then the rear trunnion.
http://dropcanvas.com/wk1fs hopefully I did this right.
View ds1948's Profile Search for other posts by ds1948

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November 19 2017 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: November 20 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Show off.

View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version