Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 41 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 43

We have 2 member(s), 4 spiders, 41 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
Guestinoni, Rardgreeddy

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (211):
Guestinoni, Juitlekneentero, alibiaEmand, fefAdmike, rulmiriucculkiz, PerLipBeilirl, Altessy, reonfubrolo, voldjeoveaM, FugJertantara, fermneoroup, KeypeBreelty, Murasnasp, Rardgreeddy, Emissoksattib, vozysoove, HoxiasillHist, mereebova, ExceteRem, beckyxj18, tesPexengexia, Wraklyadula, empisypeSpeancy, erolerenelo, FoneeZexCot, soriissuend, gila-arc, uplikigue, irony357, Charlesswarf, dasha1999-72, beulahwi60, Josh_Dale, kuanyw.m, wrksnfx, meghanok4, pankushka696, jimdoc, franklinld3, BerniceCox, Karloshtf, paganist, rusalkanna, solov-koresh, marysyndik, Anitamax, LorenREsolf, mariettaco11, deboratc11, bxilaxal82, bbrown, svetaalexs, azalka91, VikdoretBup, Robertbrake, blastattack, josephpo655, Annaeolatex, Geremosmurl, lom08-68n, leliavb60, Swedish 101, carmenzp60, Hildagex, robinqf2, Colleendealt, GordgWal, Sharonbal, sveta040489, andarma01, starsol241, esmin1991, valikotitan, yuliyaadeeva, Buran, ds1948, Robertpal, ClarataucT, dauren_-_94, kirasir1812, Jarvisgex, rasai1795, DarrickRoubs, ryche, z.antonin, SamuelNuado, Danielmek, zerkalo_test, smoke2004, Biktoria, Annauoaayef, 06adidas, GoldenKorsic, klichko2000, maryou3, Azdirom, NormanNek, JaredBox, EgoTripp, RaymondTwend, WayneAlaro, rlowe, Laindea, Cerikaemown, christinaqq60, RobertRooxy, Enigmgof, svetkatex, azotas, morristc18, Irisher, lilianys3, codyyd1, jordaneq11, miltonnv3, Ugivina, lilysa3, agrohimbis, TeamVega, Olbinavot, Annadouaref, AhcphAncet, Doanika, agrohimzyw, Ugastrial, AmzweAncet, WilliamEnamp, barrymg60, AhsuzAncet, lindsayfb60, nathanud60, AjmncAncet, MangoneBup, Michaelchilt, maryzz19xx, DaW, taniaqh2, IndicarZ, ApnqaAncet, louiseaf2, bikergunnut, Harryprozy, Ariananah, AnrcaAncet, Merbertmuh, alfredaw60, oraha, ernestdg2, AttihAncet, TerryFus, ypbyua, morrispu4, naomitt11, chapelle444, Paraquat, beverleydz4, serenaac4, AesdsAncet, corinaeo2, RonaldHiels, Mariaslemy, theresasi69, AyksgAncet, DaBears38, altheady18, MikeDub, DonnaTooke, AuhryAncet, ursulamu4, CharlesAntek, hilarycf11, AdfshAncet, agrohimcyy, ArnodAncet, lidiard4, charmdatettq, charmdatepmh, sarabw69, nelltf11, NerazumE, angelinetr16, hubel585, leonnh1, MikeTiceinjes, rickdt2, spolinen, eddieah3, lolaie4, Stevenpropy, Flux, earnestinecq2, billhw18, Richardthase, reynaxr16, backbencher, alanub18, nolacg16, charmdatextp, adriennevv60, smolonen, m1a76251, shawnamb1, codygr4, darcyiy60, cynthiawl11, jeremybl1, floridadon, gayoo11, ThomasMut, carolinewd1, Bernardabist

Rook Rifle
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Packet

Private
Private

Posted: September 02 2018 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Packet

Been looking for a long time but keep coming up empty. I am very fond of Rook rifles and would love to build one, however, I cant seem to find any plans. Seen plenty of pictures but nothing of the action assembly, particularly the barrel latch assembly. If anyone out there has anything, I would love to see it. Thankyou very much in advance for any reply's.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Packet's Profile Search for other posts by Packet

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 02 2018 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Welcome to Weaponeer.

Have you looked here?

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=458

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 02 2018 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Welcome to Weaponeer.  Got any Legos?
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Packet

Private
Private

Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Packet

Yes, I did a search of this forum and found nothing on Rook.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 03 2018 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

alot comes up on google search for rook rifles.. mostly topbreak single shots.. is it one of these? because your reason for not finding drawings of the action is you need to expand your search to pistols

built 2 designs with sliding ejectors over in my own post
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20803

I have seen plans for the jaco pistol are everywhere online, with the pivoting extractor like the last photo
View yaybacon's Profile Search for other posts by yaybacon

Packet

Private
Private

Posted: September 04 2018 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Packet

Thank you, the Jaco pistol has many of the attributes of a Rook and can be a very useful drawing. The photo at the top of your reply is what I'm after. I have figured out the mechanics of most of the design except for the barrel locking mechanism. In pictures I can understand mostly what's going on with it but it would be nice if I could find a drawing of the internal design.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 05 2018 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

the scuffing on the side makes it look like the lever moves 25 to 30 degrees, and you can clearly see the pin it rotates on and the claw it hooks to lock the action. The lock and extractor look to behave exactly like the jaco pistol, just stretch it around and run simulations on it to get the angles right.  The claw on the barrel in the closed position should be cut as if the pin the lock rotates on had a circle drawn around it. so it doesn't pull inwards or slip if you make it too flat and a matching cut on the lock.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 05 2018 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Great visual.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

Packet

Private
Private

Posted: September 05 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Packet

Thankyou yaybacon, very nice illustration. If I just had some dimensions to go by it would be much easier. Making that work inside a closed receiver without being very close on dimensions will be a challenge, but hey, that's what this hobby is all about.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 05 2018 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

until someone with an actual rook rifle shows up, all I can give you is theoretical dimensions. the active part of the hook should be radiused to follow a circle concentric with the pivot pin.  And seriously just do simulations try this program Algodoo, and later cut shapes out of cardboard, milk cartons etc. and put pins in them to test them at your desk. then copy it into steel later. With this top break design you could fire it safely without having a lock, but need it tight for more accurate shots.

-algodoo

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Hmm.  For a light cartridge, would the bbl hold itself in place by gravity if it was a bottom break action?

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 08 2018 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Actually. firing without a lock might be dangerous.. didn't do any actual math last post.. or this one either. but yeah even 1% of a large amount of force. is still an amount of force.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 08 2018 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Let's say, a .22 LR high velocity cartridge, 16" bbl, w/ the hinge on top.  It'll depend on bbl weight, of course.  How much would the bbl have to weigh to keep the breech closed until pressure dropped safely enough for the case to force the breech open & eject itself?

We could use an extractor on the breech face, no ejector needed, or mechanically actuated ejectors on the bbl.  Or maybe the gas would just blow the case out.

Just holding the bbl down with the forend would probably work fine too.

A pistol w/ a 180 degree swing would be pretty funny - an Aggie gun - aim @ your target, pull the trigger, bang!  And now the bbl is pointing @ you...  Probably want the breechface in front of the trigger guard...

A flip-bbl gun, self-folding...

Packet

Private
Private

Posted: September 09 2018 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Packet

I don't think I would even consider building it without a barrel latch, besides, I really want to replicate one of these rifles. I have always been very fond of single shot rifles of older design. I love the elegance of a bygone era.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 09 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Packet, sorry, we're speaking of a totally different design - using the weight of the bbl and a top hinge to substitute for the bbl latch.  A non-repeating blow-rotating action, if you will.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 10 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

well we were talking in private messages, but BB posted over here on accident.

and I wasn't trying to imply "don't use a latch."   Only that you should not worry too much about the latch being 100% perfect to the 0.0005inch, unless you are planning on building the receiver to fit the original Rook parts.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version