Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 36 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 37

We have 1 member(s), 6 spiders, 36 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
backbencher

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (47):

7.62x54R Blank (sale until Sept 30th)
Weaponeer Forums : Ammo Dump

Posted in Ammo Dump
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 22 2007 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

7.62X54R blanks are great for testing weapon function (or reenactments), and at this price it's a great deal!

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=AM1242

Receive A Percentage Discount on AM1242 Until September 30th!

Czech mfr. 1980’s mfr. Berdan primed, Star crimped brass, Corrosive. 80 rds./box, 960 rds./case. Price per box. If you put 4000 rounds in your cart (50 boxes) it discounts them down to $88 bucks total plus the shipping fee of $12.95.

In other words..  they are $4.87 per 80 rds, which comes to $243.50 for a case, but then you get a discount of $155.07, so your total is $88.43 for 960 rds!

I just bought 2 960 rds case's (thats $487.00 - $310.14 discount for a total of $176.86)..  but you could buy 12,000 rds for $250.00!

In the end  I have nearly 2000 rds of blanks that can be used for testing my PKM build, DP28, Maxim, or just playing around with any of my 7.62x54R rifles.

AND....  after I shoot them, I'll likely get enough back from recycling to pay for the order...  not such a bad deal.. 

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Tank Commander

SM
SM

Posted: September 22 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Tank Commander

I just bought 4000 rnds at $101.  Wow!  Not sure what I am going to do with this right now but, seems it might bring quite a bit of fun in the future!

Wise Light Arms said they used this stuff in testing their semi-PKM and DP28 and it worked well.

Some fellows on 1919A4.com said they were afraid the case was a bit short to use in belt feds and that the 1940 SVT's had some trouble feeding it.  I guess I'll find out when I get the ammo!

There is another company selling blanks, too, but theirs is supposedly BRASS cased.  The case is also supposed to be longer but, their website did not post pictures.  Strangely, they have the same product number as Century so, I wonder if that info is actually gospel.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Tank Commander's Profile Search for other posts by Tank Commander

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 22 2007 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

We both will have a bunch of ammo...  lol

I'm sure it will work in the PKM as well as the DP28.   I don't see why it would not work in the Maxim either

glassmountains

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: September 22 2007 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote glassmountains

Weaponeer wrote:

We both will have a bunch of ammo...  lol

I'm sure it will work in the PKM as well as the DP28.   I don't see why it would not work in the Maxim either

Boy talk about Deja-Vu.  Dolph Goldsmith (author of "The Devil's Paintbrush") was out at the shop today and I was telling him how I could not get the Czech blanks to fire in my 1910.  I was getting a "first position" stoppage.  As he explained it the Czech blank that Century is selling, was loaded to work in gas operated guns but not recoil operated guns.  The powder gives a burn rate (slow) to build peak pressure to operate the piston.  The Maxim needs a fast burn to generate the sharp impulse to operate it's recoil action.  Just like a Browning or Vickers. 

The solution, which I had already figured out from prior experiences, is to take the Maxim BFA and drill/tap it to accept an allen head cap screw.  The diameter is not critical just as long as it is larger than the stock orifice, then take several of the screws and drill progressively smaller gas escape holes and keep swapping them out until you find the right size that will trap enough gas to give you the "impulse" to operate the action. 

As a side note, did ya'll know that back in the 60's - 70's Dolph was responsible for adapting many of the Hollywood prop house's machine guns and other firearms to fire blanks?  He is truly a wealth of knowledge and I am very fortunate that he lives within "spittin distance".

View glassmountains's Profile Search for other posts by glassmountains

36gOPFOR

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 23 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote 36gOPFOR

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but those blanks don't work well in much of anything. They are steel cased, short crimped and, as noted, very corrosive.

They don't feed well even in Mosin-Nagants (due to shortness) and definitely don't feed well in semi or full autos. I've tried them in WWII re-enacting in MN's, DP, and SVT's to no avail for reliable feeding. The only person that I know that had had even a moderate success with them used a filler block in his SVT mags and shortened the follower.

View 36gOPFOR's Profile Search for other posts by 36gOPFOR

Riddbits

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: September 24 2007 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Riddbits

We use the all the time in re-enactments in Mosin-Nagants without any trouble. Just don't be gentle with the bolt cycle. If you go slow, it will jam up, but if you cycle it like a Russian being shot at by Germans, they work fine. You are correct about the SVT's though. They need a modified follower with a block and a plug in the barrel like what glassmountains was talking about. Our group has gone through a couple of thousand of them all ready this year. There are some that have problems with feeding and when you ask them to demonstrate, they just plod along in thier bolt cycle. When we tell them to speed up, they either try it and experience success, or complain that they don't want to dammage their $60 rifle. Can't win them all. We also have one DP that feeds the short blanks because we modified the magazine with a filler inside and installed a new feed ramp in the front of the mag. Remember, the Czech's made ton's of this stuff for a reason, they used it! It must work in something!
View Riddbits's Profile Search for other posts by Riddbits

autodoc

SFC
SFC

Posted: September 24 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote autodoc

I ordered 24000 more rounds this morning, I used up all my old ones

View autodoc's Profile Search for other posts by autodoc

jetskrtal

MSG
MSG

Posted: October 29 2007 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote jetskrtal

Any review on this stuff?
View jetskrtal's Profile Search for other posts by jetskrtal

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 29 2007 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I have mine, but have not tried any yet

<< Prev Topic Ammo Dump Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version