Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 27 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 28

We have 1 member(s), 13 spiders, 27 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
jared6502

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (43):

reusing a cut receiver
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  zeljko

E-3
E-3

Posted: April 29 2008 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote zeljko

Does anyone know what the rules are for reusing a cut receiver? Is it legal to re-weld a cut receiver from a kit and using it as a compliance part. I have a yugo m76 I would like to do that to but don’t know if its legal, does anyone know if it is or what the rules / laws are?

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View zeljko's Profile Search for other posts by zeljko

Riddbits

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: April 30 2008 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote Riddbits

Let me start by saying that I am not a lawyer and the following is as I understand the laws. Do your own research before you start rewelding a receiver.

Receivers can be rewelded, but certain things have to be done to them when you weld them back up. Because the receiver was destroyed by being cut up, it becomes a US made part when you reweld it. If the receiver was a machine gun before it was cut, it has to be rewelded with a blocking bar or rail installed to prevent full auto parts from being able to be put back in. There is a saying: "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun". That means you can't reweld to the same specifications the receiver had before it was destroyed. The blocking bar or rail has to be installed prior to finishing the reweld of the receiver. It has to then be submitted for aproval by the compliance branch of the BATFE.

If the receiver was a semi to begin with (like an M1 Garand), then there are no bars or rails required to be installed. It falls under the same catagory of a self made firearm and you will have to comply with the aplicable laws and regulations for manufacturing a firearm for personal use.

In the case of the M76, while more economical to reweld the original receiver, it may be easier to simply purchase a new receiver that is US made for your build. That also allows you to be able to sell it later if need be and it is finished. If you reweld, you can't sell it unless you are a manufacturer with the ability to paper the receiver and have paid the excise tax.

Good luck.

Edited by Riddbits
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Riddbits's Profile Search for other posts by Riddbits

TbcSEOD

SSG
SSG

Posted: April 30 2008 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote TbcSEOD

It is possible (usually) but you need to check into the the ATF website an look around - there are ALOT of little things that can land you in a lot of trouble quickly when it comes to rewelds - I have done a few and have some more to do but I start from scratch and fully research it each time, The ATF will not accept "I didn't know" as a answer.

All the best,
~TbcSEOD
View TbcSEOD's Profile Search for other posts by TbcSEOD Visit TbcSEOD's Homepage

guns1977

Level 1 Site Sponsor
Level 1 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 30 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote guns1977

Generally, when rewelding the receiver there are already semi approval like the Bren, Dshk, Dp28 etc. Rewelding a cut receiver with no semi approval is a big no no. The m76 has the "safety sear hole" I believe, and the ATF see's it as a machine gun. Ideally you would need to send it off for semi approval so you would be in the clear, or sell me the demilled receiver and use the money as part of payment for a US receiver

Hope this helps

Guns1977

seriously if you want to sell the demilled receiver pm me

View guns1977's Profile Search for other posts by guns1977

tommerr

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 30 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote tommerr

I find the idea of re-welding receivers a bit too uncomfortable for this old fart. The exception may be the Bren. The Bren is well documented with "must do" steps. All others are possible but proceed with great caution. The original bolt must be blocked before the receiver welding is finished. I also recommend that you convert the fcg and the bolt before proceeding. In my book; safety first and legality follows immediately.

Edited by tommerr

guns1977

Level 1 Site Sponsor
Level 1 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 30 2008 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote guns1977

tommerr wrote:
I find the idea of re-welding receivers a bit too uncomfortable for this old fart. The exception may be the Bren. The Bren is well documented with "must do" steps. All others are possible but proceed with great caution. The original bolt must be blocked before the receiver welding is finished. I also recommend that you convert the fcg and the bolt before proceeding. In my book; safety first and legality follows immediately.

Exactly (CYA). At no time in the process do you need to have a partial rewelded full auto receiver. Semi all the way

View guns1977's Profile Search for other posts by guns1977

762x51

E-3
E-3

Posted: May 04 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote 762x51

zeljko wrote:

<SNIP>Is it legal to re-weld a cut receiver from a kit and using it as a compliance part.<SNIP>

The basic answer is yes -but- it needs to be done according to a previously approved design or you would be well advised to submit your new design to the ATF for classification.

The ATF has ruled that a foreign made receiver that is reconstructed to an approved design is considered to be a US made part and thus can be one of your compliance parts.

View 762x51's Profile Search for other posts by 762x51 Visit 762x51's Homepage

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version