I apologize for reposting this,but this is where I think it belongs....The link at the left side of the page kept taking me to the wrong section...but I eventually found it.
I have now competely read through the whole Suomi build thread....WOW,that's a ton of information!
While doing this,I had my "wordpad" open and took notes on dimensions,specs,different ideas with corresponding images,So I wouldn't have to scan through all that again to find the info.
I would post this in the "homebuilt" section,but it doesn't seem to exist.I FOUND IT...SO HERE IT IS!!!
I am kinda leaning toward crossbreeding the m31 and ar15.Mainly due to lack of machinery to do the work involved with the M31.(mainly the bolt)
Here are my Ideas :
1) Use a M31 type barrel with Tom's redesigned takedown feature.
2) which means I will have to use at least the trunion section from a Prexis receiver(is it machined as part of the receiver or preesed in the front and spot welded into the receiver?)....or use the original.
3)Use a Ar-15 9mm bolt and carrier,so I will need a receiver with an even more reduced ID.(I'll strip my AR and get the measurements I need)
4) you guessed it...I might have to use a AR type recoil/buffer system.
5) I will use the M31 fillers amd magazine systems
6) I will fabricate a "pin-on" style strigger housing w/ pistol grip.
7) Use a Ar strigger group.(The Chip McCormick drop in unit in My AR might get swapped out and used on this project)
8) I would also like to only use the "locking" part of the barrel shroud.Cut the rest off and attach a "free-floating" ,AR style handguard to the locking piece.
9)I would have a cocking handle attached directly to the bolt and be positioned on the left side of the receiver.So I will need to machine out a slot in the receiver for it.
That's all I can think of for now....
And you fellows thinking "why not buy a 9mm upper for you AR and be done with it"
a) that's no fun....
b) The guns that I buy sit in the safe a hell of alot more than the ones I build.
c) You'll eventually go crazy if you don't attempt some of the idea's you may have.I think too much as it is....the more I think and not DO...the worse it gets!
Thanks for reading and please feel free to add any comments....a little flame won't kill me,It'll just burn for awile.