Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 23 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 23

We have 0 member(s), 6 spiders, 23 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (39):

Crossbreeding the Ar15 and M31
Weaponeer Forums : Home Build Projects

Posted in Home Build Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: May 01 2008 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote hawcer

I apologize for reposting this,but this is where I think it belongs....The link at the left side of the page kept taking me to the wrong section...but I eventually found it.

I have now competely read through the whole Suomi build thread....WOW,that's a ton of information!

While doing this,I had my "wordpad" open and took notes on dimensions,specs,different ideas with corresponding images,So I wouldn't have to scan through all that again to find the info.

I would post this in the "homebuilt" section,but it doesn't seem to exist.I FOUND IT...SO HERE IT IS!!!

I am kinda leaning toward crossbreeding the m31 and ar15.Mainly due to lack of machinery to do the work involved with the M31.(mainly the bolt)

Here are my Ideas :

1) Use a M31 type barrel with Tom's redesigned takedown feature.

2) which  means I will have to use at least the trunion section from a Prexis receiver(is it machined as part of the receiver or preesed in the front and spot welded into the receiver?)....or use the original.

3)Use a Ar-15 9mm bolt and carrier,so I will need a receiver with an even more reduced ID.(I'll strip my AR and get the measurements I need)

4) you guessed it...I might have to use a AR type recoil/buffer system.

5) I will use the M31 fillers amd magazine systems

6) I will fabricate a "pin-on" style strigger housing w/ pistol grip.

7) Use a Ar strigger group.(The Chip McCormick drop in unit in My AR might get swapped out and used on this project)

8) I would also like to only use the "locking" part of the barrel shroud.Cut the rest off and attach a "free-floating" ,AR style handguard to the locking piece.

9)I would have a cocking handle attached directly to the bolt and be positioned on the left side of the receiver.So I will need to machine out a slot in the receiver for it.

That's all I can think of for now....

And you fellows thinking "why not buy a 9mm upper for you AR and be done with it"

a) that's no fun....

b) The guns that I buy sit in the safe a hell of alot more than the ones I build.

c) You'll eventually go crazy if you don't attempt some of the idea's you may have.I think too much as it is....the more I think and not DO...the worse it gets!

Thanks for reading and please feel free to add any comments....a little flame won't kill me,It'll just burn for awile.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View hawcer's Profile Search for other posts by hawcer

<< Prev Topic Home Build Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version