Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 19 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 21

We have 2 member(s), 7 spiders, 19 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
sms73511, gta_spec

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (58):

AP9 build/re-build?
Weaponeer Forums : AP9 Pistols

Posted in AP9 Pistols
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: September 22 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Looking for other parts I found and purchased a used  AP9 upper with misc parts.   I think it can be a good project to play around with.It doesn't look like it would be to complicated to design and make a new lower to replace the original plastic one that had cracked in the usual location.

Start with a steel tube with an Id that matches the OD of the upper tube.Cut the tube lengthwise in about the middle,but leave a full round section at the rear,for the rear upper to slip into and weld in a tube cap at that location and a lug at the front for the take down pin to attach to.Cut out the openings for the magwell and trigger group.Fabricate and weld in the magwell  and also fabricate and weld on the pistol grip/trigger housing assy.

Or machine it all from aluminum.

Anyway...this is what I have and I didn't pay too much for it.

It could be fun!

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View hawcer's Profile Search for other posts by hawcer

Inabadhood

2LT
2LT

Posted: September 24 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Inabadhood

That's a pretty nice find...  The plastic lower of the AP/Tec9 type pistol is what I always hated about them.  If you can build your own lower/frame in the form you want, you could possibly also get away with using a different (better) fire control group too!!!

The mags leave something to be desired though, so if it were me, I'd see if I could make the frame/mag well and bolt work well with STEN mags instead too...  Then you'd have more reliable mags as well.  Just a thought.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Inabadhood's Profile Search for other posts by Inabadhood

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: September 24 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Inabadhood wrote:

The mags leave something to be desired though, so if it were me, I'd see if I could make the frame/mag well and bolt work well with STEN mags instead too...  Then you'd have more reliable mags as well.  Just a thought.

That's exactly what I was thinking!I just didn't know what mags would be the best choice.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: September 24 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

You mentioned fire control group...

Right now it is striker fired.Anything else would require bolt modifications,Wouldn't it?

Inabadhood

2LT
2LT

Posted: September 25 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Inabadhood

In theory it normally WOULD require bolt modifications, but the closer I look at your photo, the more I see:

1.) I think you're missing the striker spring.

2.) You might be able to modify the existing firing pin/striker setup to operate like a traditional bolt/firing pin and use a modified AR-15 fire control group.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: September 25 2008 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote hawcer

I think I'm missing the spring and guide rod.I was going to make my own,but I will look into other systems as well.

funmeister

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 26 2008 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote funmeister

For the money involved, wouldn't suomi mags be a better choice than Sten.  Suomi seem so much better made and I hear so many compliants about Sten mags and the Indian reduction to improve reliability and the difficulty in loading.  Suomi sticks might be a better route.

Regards,

funmeister

jeff47

SSG
SSG

Posted: September 26 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote jeff47

Well if you do decide to go the sten route and need extra mags OOW has them $30 for 10, which is pretty much unbeatable.  I picked up 20 a few months back and while I haven't examined them all yet, the few I looked at seemed to be in great condition.

Cool project, can't wait to see how it evolves.
View jeff47's Profile Search for other posts by jeff47

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 15 2008 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

I found a piece of 4130 steel pipe that I removed off a rear sub-frame that I had installed on my bosses Willys coupe last year.The ID is exactly the the size I needed.I have it rough shaped and cut out for the trigger housing.I still have to cut out for the magwell and fashion a grip housing and magwell.I might have to trim off the ears at the rear end ,near the rear sight..The upper has to be inserted at a slight angle and this fits so snug ,it will only slide in straight.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 16 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote hawcer

I looked into the sten mag deal at OOW...it's a good deal up front ,but the shipping price of almost $16.00 kill's it.

I ordered some Suomi stick mags from Copes instead.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 23 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Well,I have my trigger housing done...I did go with the factory striker type firing system.I had to make my own striker guide rod and  could not locate a replacement spring,so I barrowed the recoil spring from my .22lr AR-15 upper to use as my striker spring(for now).The spring is the correct size,but I don't know if it is strong enough to get a good primer strike.I can hand fit the fcg onto my lower  receiver piece and it will cycle and fire the striker correctly.Now onto the magwell...The Suomi mags are almost identical to the factory AP9 mag.And I will have to do some slight modifacations to the mags to get them to work correctly as there is a clearance problem between the mag and the trunion.A little metal removal on the front locating "tab" should cure that.Once I get the magwell welded together and fit into the lower  with the trigger housing and verify everthing lines up and functions correctly.,along with making a mag release....all that's left is a few welds,clean-up,test fire and a trip through the park tank,It should be done.

I'll try to rember to take some pics....I sometimes get so involved I forget to stop and take a picture at all the different steps.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 23 2008 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

It will look something like this.

Inabadhood

2LT
2LT

Posted: October 24 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Inabadhood

Looks Great!

So you're going to use the original FCG on this build?

Good progress so far!

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 24 2008 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Inabadhood wrote:

So you're going to use the original FCG on this build?

Yep...after looking into FCG from a AR & AK,I decided to stick with the original fcg.It's in a neat little package and installs very easily.I figured "why make things harder than they have to be?"

Inabadhood

2LT
2LT

Posted: October 24 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Inabadhood

That's true, and if it doesn't work, you can always switch it out later to something better.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 27 2008 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

A little more work done...

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 30 2008 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

I managed to get a little more work done.I still need to make the mag catch...

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 30 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Excellent top notch design and work!!

Looks great, and I bet it will be a good functioning weapon.

I would like to see more people post designs like this as it's really inspiring to see when they take shape.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 30 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Thank you,I am quite happy with it so far.At this point everything seems to function correctly.It will feed and extract(if I hold the mag in).The trigger group works as designed.If you notice,I had to add a little shelf behind the trigger.That is to take up the excessive trigger creep.I went with the CAA AK grip so I could have something to hang on to and the AK grips are easy to mount.To add a little flavor I added a cut up a Tapco Galil handguard.

I was hoping to get it to the range this weekend,But I forgot about Halloween and I think the kids would be very dissapointed if I spent all night in the garage finishing it up.

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: October 30 2008 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

Wow! That looks great!
View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

<< Prev Topic AP9 Pistols Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version