Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 39 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users

Topics involving building a STEN
Weaponeer Forums : STEN MKII, MKIII, and MKV

Posted in STEN MKII, MKIII, and MKV
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  JDgunsmith

E-2
E-2

Posted: March 30 2008 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote JDgunsmith

This is my first post on this site. I have been reading alot of post about the sten. I bought my sten kit a few years ago after getting back from Iraq. I then bought the SAS3 semi kit for semiautosten.com and took it to school with me. I was going to gunsmithing school. Put it all together and didn't have time to test fire it till last year. It didn't work. Dummy rounds feed okay but the springs that I got with that kit are pretty weak. I see other people are using different springs and a different hammer. What are the cost of both of those. I am thinking about making it into a pistol instead of a rifle because i don't really care for the pipe that you have to weld onto the barrel. I am trying to finish up some of the projects I have sitting i my garage so my wife stops giving me crap about wanting more toys to play with.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Darkmeat

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 02 2008 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Darkmeat

JDgunsmith wrote:
This is my first post on this site. I have been reading alot of post about the sten. I bought my sten kit a few years ago after getting back from Iraq. I then bought the SAS3 semi kit for semiautosten.com and took it to school with me. I was going to gunsmithing school. Put it all together and didn't have time to test fire it till last year. It didn't work. Dummy rounds feed okay but the springs that I got with that kit are pretty weak. I see other people are using different springs and a different hammer. What are the cost of both of those. I am thinking about making it into a pistol instead of a rifle because i don't really care for the pipe that you have to weld onto the barrel. I am trying to finish up some of the projects I have sitting i my garage so my wife stops giving me crap about wanting more toys to play with.

Ask the owner of semiautosten.com(there is a new owner and his hammer design is superior) about getting a hew hammer and springs. The old style ones suck.

And I too am going to do a pistol build. I'm tempted to do one with a vertical mag.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Darkmeat's Profile Search for other posts by Darkmeat

Iansstud

Private
Private

Posted: July 11 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Iansstud

Hey guys-

Just about to start my build of a MkIII vertical mag semi sten, I will be doing most of the build from scratch minus the bolt, mags, a few springs, and mag housing. I was not sure what they ment by feed lip removal...

I belive the Feed lips are the 3 cut grooves cut on the bottom of the bolt leaving 2 "feed lips" is that correct?

If it is, then why must i remove them? Maby i have this all wrong...

Thanks guys- Ian

View Iansstud's Profile Search for other posts by Iansstud

trickyrick

CSM
CSM

Posted: July 12 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote trickyrick

the feed lips are at the end of those grooves at bolt face under recess where the round sits. if you do enough modifications to keep it from being turned into a full auto you shouldn't have to remove them. keep in mind i'm not a lawyer, just my understanding. good luck
View trickyrick's Profile Search for other posts by trickyrick

Dave_F

Private
Private

Posted: March 06 2017 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Dave_F

Hello, I am new to the Forum, but have been lurking for a while. I am hoping to get some advice for a subject that I am sure has been beaten to death here, so bear with me.

I have been wanting to build a Sten mk2 for about 10 years, and finally just bought a kit. I wish I had done a lot more research, because I was only armed with the obligatory Chris Matthew's article from SGN, and a lot seems to have changed since then. Mostly in availability of aftermarket parts. I spent too much on the kit, and if I had to do it over again, for my first build, I think I should have done a mk 3 and all of the applicable kits from Indy Ord, or comparable. But here I am.

I think I want to attempt the build modifying the original bolt, as I own a mill and lathe. My logic is if I screw up, I can order a new bolt kit from Indy, and I have the money out there already. I realize the bolt is hard, and there is not much room for error.

My 1st question is this; In the Chris Matthew's article, he mentions several references to "the drawings" at the end of the "the article". I do not have any of these drawings, as I have the article in the "Gunsmith Projects" compendium and not the original SGN. Does anyone have access to these? and is willing to share them?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for such a great resource, in this website., Dave
View Dave_F's Profile Search for other posts by Dave_F

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: March 07 2017 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Once upon a time you could write to:

Posted: January 24 2008 at 7:15pm | IP Logged

Quote:
The SGN Treasury Vol 7 has the two piece article in it.

Part 1 is in Volume 60 issue 09. March 20, 2006 edition of the magazine.
Part 2 is in Volume 60 issue 15.

You can contact the author for"dimensioned drawings for this project,along with
additional photos and builders notes, are available on CD or paper from:

Stone Axe Engineering
Dept SGN
PO Box 125
Scott OH,45886

$9.95 includes shipping.

But As of 2013 it appears the information is no longer available.

I think BlurredEdge's write up is best, and he includes dimensions for the AR15 FCG.

http://weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10177&PN= 1
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 07 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Welcome to Weaponeer, Dave.  Got any Legos?
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Dave_F

Private
Private

Posted: March 07 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Dave_F

Hi, thank you for the info! With a few little ones in the house, I do have an abundance of Legos. I usually find them early in the morning, stepping on them.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 07 2017 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Break out the Kragle!  http://www.FeinsteinProject.org

Dave_F

Private
Private

Posted: March 08 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Dave_F

I don't see a category on weaponeer for lego builds! is it governed by the BATF-L? I must focus my efforts on builds from steel for the immediate future, but thanks for the info. After reviewing a LOT of forum articles, it appears I am really late getting into the Sten game. typical. ha ha. I will keep you posted if I get in contact with STEVE Matthews on the drawings for the Sten bolt

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 13 2017 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Dave_F wrote:
I don't see a category on weaponeer for lego builds!

What?  someone requested a Lego category?  I must have missed the memo... was there a memo?  wait..... I'm the one that writes the memo's...   I'm SO confused........  Hmmm, I didn't receive a bribe to write a memo, suggesting we create a work order, to create a category on "LEGO BUILDS"

Pew, for a minute there I thought I was wrong about something, but I didn't get a memo on that either...  or a BRIBE !   lol

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 14 2017 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

No, no, no need for a Lego category.  So far there's a Lego AR stock and Lego 1911 grips.  The 1st gun I've built w/o a serial # falls in the AR category - but has no Legos.  I'll send a bribe when I can, but I've a wedding coming up.

<< Prev Topic STEN MKII, MKIII, and MKV Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version