Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 36 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Molding plastic
Weaponeer Forums : Casting

Posted in Casting
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: January 01 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Stomper,

Cool stuff. I had looked over the star wars storm trooper stuff last year during Halloween. My boy is into Ghost Busters in a big way. So I built him a Proton Pack and Ghost trap. There is also a huge following of people making their stuff, just like with Star Wars (but who has a larger following). I came across alot of the mold stuff that you posted for us. Even back then, I saw alot of synergy between what Weaponeer was doing and what the Sci-Fi nerd crowd was making. If you read some of my previous posts, I worked at Dow Corning with Silicones. While I worked in the Paper Group, I was able to work in the Resin/ Casting and also the Urethane Lab.

You are right about trying to teach someone this stuff. It is an ART. I can jack-jaw for hours, but until these guys try it... it won't make things clear. While casting can be a challenge, I found it to be easy and fun. Hopefully, we can both keep things running.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: January 01 2009 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

In a week or two I will have some more free time and plan to attempt to make a mold. I will start with something simple like an AK grip. Over the weekend I will read this thread again to identify what I need to order so I can join in on the fun.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: January 01 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

dcorb,

Good to hear from you! I still have all my mold making stuff sitting in front of me, and my fiberglass "bondo". I have to be quick, since I need to get alot of "homework" done and I will be going back around January 12. Hopefully I can get a jump on my AK grip project and post some examples for you. I have the "regular" grip mold done, but I want to get the "ergo" grip done. That way you can see my follies and tribulations.

Inabadhood

2LT
2LT

Posted: January 29 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Inabadhood

Anybody made any more progress on molding/casting lately?

I've been INSANELY BUSY lately with work really picking up in preparation for spring Construction Season!!! 

Work was getting a bit 'thin' for a while there again!  Now it seems things are picking up though! 

View Inabadhood's Profile Search for other posts by Inabadhood

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: January 29 2009 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

No progress here. But the shop is a little warmer, one of my fluorescent lights actually ignited today.

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: January 29 2009 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

You asked.... :)

I am having trouble with this variety of clay... to smooth down. So I am not happy with it. If I can get it to smooth down, I will cast some plaster this weekend!

Anyone else with progess?

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: January 29 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

I am sure some people on this list would not understand why a fluorescent lite would not lite up this time of the year. But I bet they would also not understand driving out on a lake to a fish house. That is what I have planned after work, not to fish but to have a few cold ones.

What kind of clay are you using?

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: January 29 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Friend dcorb,

Its called Sculpey... its an oven bake clay. You have to "knead" it... and yes... you do. It doesn't initially roll to well. When I was working it, it crumbled a good bit. Also, I applied some water and it didn't affect it. So I don't know think its polar. Reading the label its states "polyform".

I am looking at it as a new product that I haven't used before. What attracted me was the "oven" bake quality. It says you can polish, sand and drill it when hard. Cooking temp is 130F. So I might be able to stick the whole AK grip into the oven for a "small" bake.

I will post more later.

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: February 24 2009 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

I picked up four packs of that clap, Sculpey III.

It is sticky stuff. Have not done much with it yet. The craft store Michaels had it on sale for $.99 a pack, normally $1.99.

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: February 24 2009 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

I received these MP5 forearms today. Got to copy them!

Look at that background, makes me cold looking at it.

Stomper

Level 1 Site Sponsor
Level 1 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 24 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Stomper

Those will be a challenge, due to the undercuts of the originals...
View Stomper's Profile Search for other posts by Stomper

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: February 24 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

Stomper wrote:
Those will be a challenge, due to the undercuts of the originals...

How about doing them in two pieces and glue or fiberglass together?

Stomper

Level 1 Site Sponsor
Level 1 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 24 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Stomper

I suppose you could, but I promise you won't be happy with the results, plus they will NEVER be a structurally sound as the originals...

If you can show me more photos of the insides looking at them from the ends and some other perspectives I'd be able to give you a more informed opinion.

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: February 24 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

dcorb,

Yep, each mold should be a 2-3pc mold. Obviously more parts, more problems. If you look closely at your originals, I can just make out mold seems.

If it was me, IMHO, I would split each part in two. Create a mold for each half. Then after casting, you would glue the parts back together.

Looking forward to results!

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: February 24 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

I would take some more pictures but I had enough time in the cold shop tonight.

This will not be too high on my list of things to do. One thing related to plastic that is on top my list is a vacuum plastic molder. As I have a couple projects that are depending on it. I plan to start work on that in couple days.

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: February 24 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Guys,

If we had a pourable epoxy that we could cast (and it would be hard and durable) the above project would be a snap. I would create flexible molds and bang out a few parts each day.

Stomper is right, a cast complete part is usually more durable than a glued unit. However, sometimes beggers can't be choosers.

dcorb,

I hear ya on the cold shop. I was just out wiring one of my shops for power. They had two light sockets in the tractor portion of the barn. No power outlets... except for 1 on the outside of the barn. I finished up the other half of the barn two years ago... now I just need a cement floor and heat in both sections.!

Stomper

Level 1 Site Sponsor
Level 1 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 24 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Stomper

I put a wall-mount heat-pump out in my workshop, and now enjoy year 'round climate control... best thing I ever did!!

Looking forward to seeing what you can cook up to replicate those!

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: February 25 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

The insides of the MP5 grips

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: February 25 2009 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

Another grip I need to mold. the Mac-11. This one should be easy.

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: February 25 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

dcorb,

Ya, the MAC is a snap. You could probably get away with the epoxy resin idea that I was talking about earlier. I was also thinking about stuffing my AK grip mold with fiberglass bodyfiller. Simply glue the two halves with the starting material.

The MP5 is alot more difficult. I gave you my best idea in an earlier post. Stomper, ya got anything for him?

<< Prev Topic Casting Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version