Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 21 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 23

We have 2 member(s), 9 spiders, 21 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
sparky923, Artty62

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (45):

AK rivet squeezer/all thread barrel press
Weaponeer Forums : AK Series

Posted in AK Series
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  agent762

Private
Private

Posted: December 26 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote agent762

I already built one AK, but I did it at a friends house and I want to build another, he had a 12 ton press, and a pair of rivet squeezers. I don't have the money or space for these things so I have a couple of questions about some home made tools to build an AK. I've been hearing about an all thread barrel press and bolt cutter rivet squeezer at the gun shows. But I can't get any clear understanding on how to get the jaws without clear pics or details for the rivet squeezers. As for the all thread barrel press I think with the web thread I found I may be able to figure it out but I will except any and all advice.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View agent762's Profile Search for other posts by agent762

rocco1911

CSM
CSM

Posted: December 27 2008 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote rocco1911

Try www.gunsgutsandgod.com
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View rocco1911's Profile Search for other posts by rocco1911

pbdeh

MSG
MSG

Posted: December 27 2008 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote pbdeh

Here is a link for bolt cutter riveter info  -  http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm
View pbdeh's Profile Search for other posts by pbdeh

pbdeh

MSG
MSG

Posted: December 27 2008 at 3:40am | IP Logged Quote pbdeh

View pbdeh's Profile Search for other posts by pbdeh

NRADon

CPT
CPT

Posted: January 25 2009 at 1:12am | IP Logged Quote NRADon

You can make a very good barrel press for about $20.  All you need is a three foot section of black pipe and a set of pipe clamps.  Get a small pice of scrap steel and some all thread so you can make a small fixture that will go down inside your receiver to butt up against the back of your riveted in trunnion without getting in the way of your barrel so it can slide back, and you're set.  If you LIGHTLY polish the barrel shank with 400 grit wet paper and coat it with Brownell's Barrel Assembly Paste (a fancy name for molybdenum disulfide), it'll slip right in using the pipe clamp.  One clamp sit down on the barrel in front of the front sight base and the other end of the clamp sits against the scrap steel and all thread fixture behind the trunnion.  All the fixture does is give you a square surface so the pipe clamp can work.  Gently screw down the pipe clamp until the barrel moves back (make sure the sights don't cathc on the edges of the trunnion) until you can move a small metal scribe in and out of the barrel pin hole without feeling any resistance between the barrel and the trunnion.  Now all you have to do is bang the barrel pin back in and you're set.

I've built three AKs using this technique and it works great.  As long as you use the barrel assembly paste, it doesn't take much effort at all to get the barrel back into the trunnion and since the front sight base has two pins holding it in place, you don't need to worry about damaging the sight itself provided you take your time and you're gentle while cranking on the pipe clamp.  It really works smooth unless you're some kind of gorilla in a hurry.

Don

View NRADon's Profile Search for other posts by NRADon

<< Prev Topic AK Series Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version