Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
3 members and 47 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 50

We have 3 member(s), 9 spiders, 47 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
justin22885, shortfal, oruze

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (62):

PPS 43 Full auto
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  coldreaver83

Private
Private

Posted: April 22 2009 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote coldreaver83

I recently got a kit to build one of these and figured that I would pay the $200 tax to make it as it was meant to be, full auto.  Most of the receivers that I can find online specify that they have a semi-auto provision built in. 

What makes a semi-auto receiver different from the full auto receivers?

Kind of a newbie question, but if anyone can offer any pointers, I would appreciate it...

Funny x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View coldreaver83's Profile Search for other posts by coldreaver83

gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 22 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

Slow down.  No new machine guns can be built since 1986 unless they are built by a licensed manufacturer for government use.  They won't accept your application and tax payment.  You could build it as a semiauto with the original length barrel by paying the $200 tax as a SBR (Short barreled rifle).  

It any event, you must apply and pay the tax before doing anything.

I suggest educating yourself and asking a lot of questions before doing anything to a smg parts kit.

There are a lot or resources on this site and elsewhere.  A good start would be to familiarize yourself with the federal regulations.

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/index.htm

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View gundoctor's Profile Search for other posts by gundoctor

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: April 22 2009 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

coldreaver,

Welcome aboard.

Gundoctor is absolutely correct on his facts. We, as gun builders get frequent questions from new people about this subject. Don't be afraid to ask a question, it will save you time, material.. give you a professional build and keep you safe.

So while it is legal (in some states) to own FA guns, as Gundoctor said, no new ones can be made since 1986. Even to own those includes extra paperwork and stamp taxes.

When attempting to build your new gun, you must also watch what parts you use and how it is constructed. The ATF has been known to throw the book at people who have created something that they shouldn't have, even accidentally. In addition there are US parts that must be included in rifle builds (if you have a "foreign kit"). This stems from a law referred to as 922. This means if you got an AK or Suomi.... you must have several parts made in the US to be compliant.

Where did you get your kit from? Just curious on which vender you used.

Have fun building!

Agree x 1
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

coldreaver83

Private
Private

Posted: April 22 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote coldreaver83

Thanks for the welcome and the info.  I guess I won't be building one after all.  I have read too many "short stories that end with a bang - not the good kind" about these when modded to semi-auto. 

I had heard about the need for US manufactured parts.  I figured the trunnion and receiver, and maybe the barrel would be the only parts I would need to substitute. 

The kit is from Sportsmansguide.net.

View coldreaver83's Profile Search for other posts by coldreaver83

hardhead

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: April 22 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote hardhead

Welcome to weaponeer

Most semi auto recievers are modified to not accept full auto parts by

1) reducing the ID of the reciever so a full auto bolt will not fit this is more common in the open bolt designs (in your semi build your bolt must fire from the closed bolt position)

2) Incorperation of a non removeable pin or plate of diffrent configurations to thwart any attempts at FA capability (cetme and G3 builds use these)

3)altered inside demensions and omitted pivot pins so auto sears and rate reducers can not be used (with colts and aks)

Please remember to have your semi auto parts done first and rid yourself of the FA fire controls BEFORE aquiring a semi reciever!!!!!! posession of a FA kit and a reciever is bad,BAD mojo in the ATF standpoint

there is a lot of useful information posted by many mechanical gienuses on this website I strongly urge you to use it wiseley   the rewards and accomplishment of a  home build are awesome

Good luck

JB 

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: April 22 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

coldreaver,

Hey, build it as a SA...

Quote: "I guess I won't be building one after all.  I have read too many "short stories that end with a bang - not the good kind" about these when modded to semi-auto.  "

Naw, join the rest of us building up a SA model. Big trick is to do it right... that is what we are here for... this website has alot of information... and alot of experts.

Believe me... you will build one.. then two... then three.... The first is always the hardest!

NRADon

CPT
CPT

Posted: April 22 2009 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote NRADon

midmichigun wrote:

coldreaver,

Hey, build it as a SA...

Quote: "I guess I won't be building one after all.  I have read too many "short stories that end with a bang - not the good kind" about these when modded to semi-auto.  "

Naw, join the rest of us building up a SA model. Big trick is to do it right... that is what we are here for... this website has alot of information... and alot of experts.

Believe me... you will build one.. then two... then three.... The first is always the hardest!

Guaranteed, once you build your first LEGAL gun and get it running right, you'll be hooked for life.  You'll find yourself with multiple kits and projects lying around in various states of completion.  There will always be a project in the works.  Right now, I have a Suomi project on hold, three AKs waiting to be built, two Mauser actions to restock, and a Reading style flintlock to finish.  Worse yet, I'm also considering a .17 Remington Fireball project I may want to start.  It never ends.  I'm afraid of what will happen to me if I start building belt feds.

Don

View NRADon's Profile Search for other posts by NRADon

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: April 23 2009 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

NRA,

I hear ya on that.

Once you put together your first 1919... you don't go back!

NRADon

CPT
CPT

Posted: April 24 2009 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote NRADon

midmichigun wrote:

NRA,

I hear ya on that.

Once you put together your first 1919... you don't go back!

I got one of the AKs put together tonight.  It's a milled Yugo underfolder.  Now all I have to do is take up to gunsmithing schools this summer, sandblast it, throw it in the parkerizing tank, and then throw it in the hot bluing tank.  After that, she'll be completely finished.  I'll be taking it out to the range this weekend to function test it and shoot the parts in on the new receiver until they find their own "home" and "happy place".  It should only take two or three magazines to get it hot enough for all the parts to seat themselves into place and work out the stiffness.

View NRADon's Profile Search for other posts by NRADon

enterpricorp

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 24 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote enterpricorp

coldreaver83 wrote:

Thanks for the welcome and the info.  I guess I won't be building one after all.  I have read too many "short stories that end with a bang - not the good kind" about these when modded to semi-auto. 

I had heard about the need for US manufactured parts.  I figured the trunnion and receiver, and maybe the barrel would be the only parts I would need to substitute. 

The kit is from Sportsmansguide.net.

These guns are not necessarily "modded to semi auto." If it can shoot automatic it can shoot semi automatic. 90% of the work is converting it from open bolt to closed bolt which is a legal issue, most open bolts, including the pps43, are illegal.

After all the work is done, you will have a safer and smoother operating rifle than what you started out with. If you heard horror stories it was probably passed down from someone who didn't know what they were doing and didn't put the time and effort in their project to finish it the correct/safe/legal way.
View enterpricorp's Profile Search for other posts by enterpricorp

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version