Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 44 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 45

We have 1 member(s), 21 spiders, 44 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
UKBiker

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (50):

FAL-SKS Hybrid
Weaponeer Forums : News on Semi-Auto Weapons Projects

Posted in News on Semi-Auto Weapons Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  tommerr

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 16 2009 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote tommerr

I tried to register at sksboards and I got nowhere.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

xtriggerman

Private
Private

Posted: July 24 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote xtriggerman

Hi folks, Id like to thank you guys on the good words about my hybrid build and thought you might like to see the last pictures i have befor I scrap the barrel and put on the 1919 BMG barrel, finned from the gas block back. One note I would like to add is the VZ58 is not a candidate for the FAL lower due to the fact that the VZ uses a cocked fireing pin like a bolt action rifle. While the FAL quite opposite in design with a FCG hammer. I will have a hybrid for sale on GB as soon as my BATFE letter of build compliance comes in. It with have all the bells and whistles, 2 quick detachable butt stocks (standard and side folder) weaver QD scope mount and what ever else I can think of.  The XT-M1 will be commercialy available as a refit to any one who has a steel recever/threaded barrel SKS (eventualy with US made aluminum lowers). I hope to reopen a gunsmithing shop by 2014. by them I will be retired and relocated to the CONSERVATIVE south. Only the left coast matches the flamin A..H..'s here in the north east that uncessingly cancel out my votes. I have absolutely freakin had it. Do you guys know NYC is only 38% white out of 8 million pop? Im not a racist but their IGNORENT voteing habits are KILLING ower Country as they have already killed NY. Sorry for going there in this gun post.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View xtriggerman's Profile Search for other posts by xtriggerman

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: July 24 2009 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

xtrigger,

Sir, you aspire to a dream that many of us have (owning a gunshop). Also move to where you feel comfortable. My land is vastly liberal... but I am a holdout.

Anyway, good build! Even without the 1919 barrel, it looks awesome! Can't wait to see more!

View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

tommerr

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 24 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote tommerr

Please post build details. Ever since I brought an SKS back from Viet Nam, now that's a story, I have looked at potentials and they are many. Conversions to magazines are well established. The use of other lowers are not. The SKS is an UNAPRECIATED semi-auto design. Last summer, I ventured into my local gun shop, good people! A sign read "SKS sale next weekend". I looked over the inventory and I found a sweet heart. The wood had great figuire and color. All the rest had bland russian type wood. The sale day arrived. I walked into the shop on the chosen day and the inventory had mostly vanished. BUT, my chosen rifle still laid there. It must have been too fancy for the military dead heads. YES, long live the dead heads if I get great guns. It still resides in heavy cosmoline. I will post pictures and that brings to mind a question. I will start a new thread: "Cosmoline removal". Cosmo is like a bad hair day; it needs a wash.

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: July 24 2009 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

tommerr,

Before I lost my job, my wife gave me a gift cert. for Dunhams. I picked up a real nice SKS. First one that I purchased. Its packed in cosmo... and I will probably leave it that way. Now if I found a "beater" then I would look at conversions!

Back in the day (wow... I sound old) we went to a gunshow that had the CHEAP chinese SKS for sale. I mean... they had a bay door open and a fork truck was dropping off PALLETS of them. You got the bandolier, cleaning kit and rifle for well under $100. There was a line of people waiting... my brother got one... and GAVE it away to get rid of it! Said it was the worst/ dangereous gun he ever owned.

xtriggerman

Private
Private

Posted: July 25 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote xtriggerman

tommer, Im a 1 finger typer and as for details, i would have to direct you to read all of the first link post from survivor. there are many details latter in the postings there on the initial test mule. The last info link is this one

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=57276.0

midmichigun, thanks for the kind word. Gunsmithing has always been a passion since I went to Penn. gunsmithing school in 79. As a NRA member since 76, I have always felt that someday there will be states where the average guy can own and shoot and then there will be the states that will restrict ownership so heavily that only the rich folks will pay for the "privelage" to own. The future Sup. court will see to that. The conservative states will one by one legislate detatchment from federal regulations. I absolutely REFUSE to pay into the 46 billion wellcare buget of NYS. God willing and the creeks don't rise, Im outa here! AS in Michigan NY has lost 160,000 businesses since 02. I wouldn't piss on a lib if he/she was on fire !......... tuff times are ahead folks, very tuff times.

tommerr

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 25 2009 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote tommerr

The SKS is vastly superior to the AK. It is solid steel. The AK is popular because of it's detachable magazine. The SKS is a super build plateform. The Chinese stuff is debatable.

tommerr

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 25 2009 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote tommerr

Evidently, I registered on the SKS board years ago and now I am blocked.

mikey_mick

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 25 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote mikey_mick

What do you have on there for a gas block, xtriggerman?  Looks fancy.
View mikey_mick's Profile Search for other posts by mikey_mick

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: July 26 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

X,

Please stick around on this board. We need more builders and conservatives like you. Welcome!

Tommerr,

Up to a certain point I agree with you. There is nothing like solid steel construction. However, the AK has alot of potential also. I am thinking of some real nifty builds based on "bent metal". Folded properly "bent metal" has tremendeous strength. But fabrication is "different" than with a mill.

The AK is a "cheaper" gun no doubt, than a "milled gun". People like it... as you say... because of the detach. magazine, and also I think 'cause of the looks. A huge amount of people know about the AK... but the SKS has largely disappeared from mainstream.

Anyway... good build! I love it!

xtriggerman

Private
Private

Posted: July 26 2009 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote xtriggerman

mikey_mick wrote:
What do you have on there for a gas block, xtriggerman?  Looks fancy.

mick, the original gas block has been modifyed by drilling out the front wall in front of the piston and welding the front sight over the top of the gas block. Then i made a stainless gas plug that comes in from the front opening to engauge the gas tube ,holding it in place. A 96 mauser (hardened) safety was modifyed as a cross pin to hold the gas plug in place. The gas piston is unaltered and acts directly onto the bolt carrier since the rear sight and op rod has been deleted.

Midmich, Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy shareing and learning what others have seen and done. Gun folks usualy are the type that say what they mean & mean what they say....salt of the earth!

As for the AK, I used to sell Daewoo rifles back when they were running $339 a pop cause they were hands down the finest designed 223 EVER period. but...they just did not group as well as a AR. Reason...I always felt a hi mounted gas piston over the barrel was the culprit since it would have a exceptional leverage gain to torqe the barrel when bleed off from 40K +psi punched the piston. people forget when that ultra fast pressure hits the piston face, it also hits the front of the gas block, "wanting" to blow the gas block forward and off the barrel. The taller the gas block, the greater the leverage to "whip" the front of the barrel down. Resently, a guy posted the YT vid that has proven my theory correct. as you watch this vid, pay close atention to the AK barrel and cleaning rod. The VERY poorly "hi" designed gas system is designed to kill any accuracy potential this weapon would ever have.  Now look at the SKS. the piston head is much smaller in diameter AND that is mounted as close to the barrel as possible minimzing barrel torqueing. I have in my mind a short stroke piston design that is solely mounted over the chamber and actuated by an AR gas block and gas tube. It would virtualy eliminate the gas block torqueing. But hey, I have way to many irons in the fire as it is now! Enjoy the vid guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0

Disagree x 1

devo681

E-3
E-3

Posted: July 29 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote devo681

Xtriggerman,

Instead of welding up the sks reciever, can you some how create bolt-on parts with a template of where to drill and tap on the sks reciever. I think this will make your parts easier to produce. You will not have to worry about obtaining and modifing sks recievers and what not.

Just a thought.

View devo681's Profile Search for other posts by devo681

xtriggerman

Private
Private

Posted: July 31 2009 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote xtriggerman

Unfortunately, the rear of the reciever needs a 2 pc lug welded in place so the lower locks onto the reciever with absolutely zero play. the foward trunion assembly might be able to be attached with 2 8x40 screws but since it is also the mag latch assembly, I feel better with it clamped tightly to the lower and a pair of welds locking it in a permanent possition. It would degrade the design to use screws rather than welds because the forces on screws "may" lead to a loose mag lock up and a loose lower frame. If I can't build a rock solid unit, I just won't build it! The magazine foward lug block is the only place where 2 6x48 screws can be used due to heat treat factor on the reciever ring, weld can not be used there. Thanks for the thoughts tho, "KISS" is always good policy!

<< Prev Topic News on Semi-Auto Weapons Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version