Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 46 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Homebrew folder
Weaponeer Forums : G3 / CETME / MP5 / HK

Posted in G3 / CETME / MP5 / HK
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 15 2009 at 2:13am | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

I guess I have one of about every factory and aftermarker stock for the HK and CETME series of rifles except for sniper models.   I simply don't really like any of them very much, and the folders all stink.

So, lets make our own.  I am going to use a CETME backplate for the prototype.  
Good use for all of those pieces of barrel laying around.  I simply reamed the barrel to 5/16" to make the hinge components.   I milled the backplate to get the hinge where I wanted.  Note the slight flats on the hinge top and bottom to get a snug fit and proper geometry.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View gundoctor's Profile Search for other posts by gundoctor

gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 15 2009 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

The bolt holds the hinge pieces in alignment to allow tacking to the backplate
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 15 2009 at 2:21am | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

I sort of like the geometry.   Here I have started to profile the prototype to see how it all is going to look.

Uh-Oh.  Out of wire.  Plenty of flux core and 0.023 but no more 0.030 in my stash.  After seeing Decorbs flux core pictures I don't want to go that route ever again on a gun project.   Good excuse to go by Airgas tomorrow.

Rear view.   I think this will contour in and look nice once I weld it up .

Later:   the new buffer design, the latch, and the Mysterious new stock.

I have been so busy that I haven't had much time to prototype and play, and it felt good to spend an hour or so getting this little start tonight.

gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 15 2009 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

Tommerr's advice about driving the speed limit is really paying off.   Like he said "You can never make up the hour's you lose".   You lose the driving time because you are so worried about the speed that you can't think about anything else. By driving modestly and not worrying about looking for LE I have found a lot of time to figure these things out before I ever pick up paper or make a cut in the shop.  Thank's Tommerr for giving me several extra hours of "mobile project time" each week.

Everyone else is speeding and textmessaging--and I am mentally designing parts, fixtures, and tooling as I driving along.

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: July 15 2009 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote dcorb

gundoctor wrote:
Uh-Oh.  Out of wire.  Plenty of flux core and 0.023 but no more 0.030 in my stash.  After seeing Decorbs flux core pictures I don't want to go that route ever again on a gun project.   Good excuse to go by Airgas tomorrow.

Hey I like my splatters !

View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: July 15 2009 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote dcorb

This is looking good but your really fooled me with the subject. I thought "finally a home brew beer thread"

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: July 15 2009 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

I could see your production going way down then....

gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 15 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

dcorb wrote:
This is looking good but your really fooled me with the subject. I thought "finally a home brew beer thread"

I actually have  another pretty good friend who seems to change every discussion into a beer related topic.

Once upon a time I was brewing regular--advanced from the kits to mashing my own grain.  I was even getting some guys at a feedmill to steam flake grain for me.   Made a great hopped up ale from steam flaked sorghum and some dark barley that was very drinkable and good at 10 years old!.  I still have about 4 bottles and am going to open one every 5 years and see if it will make 25 years.

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: July 15 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

gundoctor wrote:
dcorb wrote:

I actually have  another pretty good friend who seems to change every discussion into a beer related topic.

Once upon a time I was brewing regular--advanced from the kits to mashing my own grain.  I was even getting some guys at a feedmill to steam flake grain for me.   Made a great hopped up ale from steam flaked sorghum and some dark barley that was very drinkable and good at 10 years old!.  I still have about 4 bottles and am going to open one every 5 years and see if it will make 25 years.

Or bring them to the next build party so we can finish them off!

gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 15 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

Got some wire and welded it up. Worked it over with the air angle grinder--quick work with a carbide burr and a sanding disk to blend the welds.   Probably 15 minutes with the air and about 3 minutes with the dremil in some of the tight angles.

If you are still using a dremil for everything and have air--invest $15 in a air grinder, get a few 1/4" carbide burrs ( I bought a set of 8 for $15), and grab a few of the 1/4" grinding shapes, some sanding disks, and some of "scrub pad" types.    Harbor freight sells a set of "attachments" that has a little bit of all of this in it.  It is much better and you'll save enough in the long run on disposibles to justify.

Mocked up with an original stock inserted.  I really like the way this fitted up.   Nice, strong hinge but if blends into the contours well and doesn't protrude like many do.  I am going to make a slight change to the hinge on prototype 2 (length of the 3 pieces will change slightly.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 15 2009 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

looking really nice

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: July 16 2009 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

It is looking good. I am going to steal this idea.

(I still think we need a folder for Homebrew)

gundoctor

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: July 16 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote gundoctor

I am going to use my urethane resins and mold a new buffer into the backplate

I have a couple of options on the latch.  Haven't settled yet on which I am going to use.  If I had the right broach I might use a latch integral to the pin like the Vz58

<< Prev Topic G3 / CETME / MP5 / HK Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version