Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
3 members and 31 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

What's the purpose of port in backplat?
Weaponeer Forums : Maxim

Posted in Maxim
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  boss429

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: August 15 2009 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote boss429

What's the purpose of the access port in the backplate?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: December 17 2009 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote ryche

HEY If your talking about a 08  MAXIM  , The little flip plate inbetween the spade grips is for a cleaning rod. There is a corresponding hole in the lock mount that allows for a cleaning rod to be inserted without disassembling the gun. I have an original tech manual printed in 1936 that shows the port being used.  Gotta love the MAXIMS.  They are the first of their kind and i can't leave them. VICKERS is a close second for fav. belt feds.  RYCHE
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View ryche's Profile Search for other posts by ryche

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 17 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Hey, I learned something new!

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: December 21 2009 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote ryche

Hey It's always nice to learn something new ain't it?   That same port didn't exist on the 08-15's, the rec. was stepped down and the top cover catch was set up as a stock catch. Once the top cover is opened you pop up the stock catch and the stock and rear plate pivot downwards. The same hole in the lock mount is there for the same reason. The 08-15 disassembles a lot easier than the 08, as the side plate fillers are attached to the rear plate, not separate pieces like on the 08.  Those side-plate fillers could be easily lost especially in the mud. Without them you are stuck with a nonfunctional weapon. The left side has the rear mount for the fusse cover, and the right side has the rear bolt handle lock and spacer on it.    Just a little more info for any who might need it.   RYCHE.  

boss429

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: December 22 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote boss429

Thanks for the answer. I did figure it out some time ago but still don't have a rod that long.

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: December 23 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote ryche

HEY boss429     I use a sectional GI rod.   You can get them at any gun show, by the kit or pieces.  I know its only a .22  size rod but what ever works, right?  What kind of MAXIM do you have?  I've got a rough shape German 08. It's called the " Finicky Bitch" She only works when she feels like it.  ( the right temp, the right dew point, correctly dirty ammo, wind blowing in just the right direction etc etc.) I also have an Aircraft 08-15 LMG. It's one of the only one's i know of in captivity. She's in very good condition and one of the most reliable belt feds i've got. I love to talk MAXIM    RYCHE

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 23 2017 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote ryche

For any who are interested...
I FINALLY found and bought the CORRECT top cover for my aircraft Maxim. Got into a bidding war right at the end but i got it for $700.
A little expensive maybe... but i haven't seen one avlb for years..and its the CORRECT one yay!!!
Now all i need is the correct FT. sight if anybody knows where one might be found.
Oh and a nice low milage zepplin so i can shoot her correctly

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 23 2017 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: February 25 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote ryche

Thanks buddy i'm looking forward to getting it in my hands
Ryche

<< Prev Topic Maxim Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version